Sunday, March 16, 2008

Teriyaki Style Chicken and Lemon Cake

I was dying for Chinese style chicken and sticky rice and so I of course, went to Epicurious, my favorite source! I found this very simple, very healthy, and really yummy recipe and liked it so much I made it twice in one week! One time I made it with chicken thighs and it wasn't as good; the second time I followed the recipe exactly and used the flattened breasts as suggested. Mmmmm. I garnished with sliced scallions and a drizzle of the remaining marinade (boiled first, of course!). If you want to give it a try, go to Epicurious.com and search for "Teriyaki Style Chicken". Serve it with some yummy Jasmine rice.

I paired it with Roasted Brussel Sprouts -- odd, I know! They're not really Chinese in flavor at all, but I was having a craving. I have a thing for them! If roasted brussel sprouts are sitting there I eat them practically like popcorn! There's not really a recipe for them; I just fired up the oven to 450, tossed them with olive oil, sea salt, and ground black pepper, then placed them cut side down on a cookie sheet that I had lined with foil. I blasted them for about 25 minutes, flipped them and shook 'em around, then roasted again for another 10 minutes or so. Yummy!!

The Lemon Cake is from one of my Barefoot Contessa cookbooks, although I can't recall which one and truth be told, I'm just too lazy to get up off the couch and go into the kitchen to look! I found it on foodtv.com and if you're interested in making it, it's easy enough to find there. A bonus is that it makes two loaf pans and it freezes great! Go to foodtv.com and do a search for Ina's Lemon Cake. Oh, and I skipped the lemon syrup step that comes between the cooling cakes step and the icing step. ;-)

Bon appetit!

1 comment:

Patsyk said...

Both of those sound so good! I love that the lemon cake can be frozen... make one for now, one for later! :) I've been looking for a good teriyaki marinade, so I'll be putting this on my list soon!

Beautiful pictures!