Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Happy Birthday, Ad'....and a blog award!

It's my youngest's 8th birthday today, and boy have we had fun!



The birthday girl and her favorite "friend who's a boy"!


We started the day with pancakes in our pj's at my friend Ann's house. Her son is my daughter's best "friend who's a boy" (NOT to be confused with a "boyfriend"!). It was a gorgeous summer day filled with fun and pals, AND this:


"Towering Sand Castle Cake"


I always say I'd never fit in with the Daring Bakers, and ain't it the truth. I was up to my elbows in icing and cursing a blue streak over this cake, but I have to say, I was quite pleased with how it turned out! Thank goodness her birthday only comes once a year, and lucky for me, my other two love Dairy Queen cakes! One of these fancy schmancy deals every 12 months is about enough for me. The recipe came from an issue of Family Fun Magazine. Click underneath the picture for the link!


Birthday Girl requested barbecued ribs and cheesy potatoes for her special dinner. I make this rib recipe all the time (including in the middle of winter when my son also requests the same dinner). It calls for "good quality barbecue sauce", but I'm partial to plain ol' Open Pit, so that's what I always use.


The cheesy potato recipe dates back to the mid-70's, when my mother-in-law didn't turn up to a potluck without a big batch of them. Read the recipe......it's a total throwback! It's not gourmet in the slightest but everyone loves them. I think I've given this recipe to about a dozen people in the past five years!


Chili-Rubbed Ribs


Cheesy Potatoes

Super Cheesy Potatoes
Serves: 6-8
Source: My Mother-in-Law, who probably got it out of a magazine sometime in the late '70's!

1 large bag of frozen diced hashbrown potatoes
1 medium white onion, diced
4 T. flour
1/2 stick butter, diced
1 jar (don't gag.....) Cheez Whiz (I know, I know!)
2 c. milk

Preheat oven to 375. Coat a 9x13 pan with cooking spray. Put half of the potatoes in the pan. Top with half of the diced onion, 2 T. flour, half of the diced butter, and half of the Cheez Whiz (just plop it on, don't worry about spreading it around). Repeat the layers. Pour the milk around the potatoes. Cover tightly with foil and bake for one hour. Remove the foil, stir the potatoes until well combined, and continue to bake for an additional half hour, or until potatoes are thickened, browned, and bubbly. Serve them to small children and watch them disappear!!
I'm stuffed. Ribs, cheesy potatoes, and sand castle cake.....ugh! I'm done. But before I go, I need to thank my cyberfriend Lisa from Jersey Girl Cooks for the fun YumYum Blog Award! Thank you Lisa! I'm going to pass it on tomorrow, but now I have to get my Birthday Girl and her siblings in to the bathtub and off to bed. ;-)

12 comments:

Kirsten said...

Love the cake! The potatoes also sound like something my family would like.

Anonymous said...

That cake is SOOOO cool! I bet birthday girl had a BLAST! :)

Aggie said...

Your castle cake is amazing!! WOW! What a nice birthday dinner! I'm thinking those cheesy potatoes would go over really well over here! I'm laughing at your cheez whiz comment...it might be hard to go there, but I'm sure it's worth it!!

Jan said...

That cake looks incredible. It sounds like you all had a fun day.

RecipeGirl said...

How cute is that cake??? Darling. Your daughter is a treasure and I'm happy it was a fun day. What a great mom you are!

Jenny said...

What a great lookinig meal Leah! And how cute is the birthday girl and her little "boy" friend. Too cute!

Love the cake too!

Obsessive Foodie or Food Addict....You Decide said...

Happy Bday!

Homemade cakes are the BEST!

Katherine Roberts Aucoin said...

Congrats on your blog award and I love the birthday cake.

Georgina Ingham | CulinaryTravels said...

What a stunning birthday cake. Lovely birthday meal too I bet you had a great time.

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm Alisha from Wowzio, and I'm excited to tell you about our new widget platform that helps bloggers increase readership by providing engaging widgets containing your blog's rich content. You can check out widgets customized for your blog here:

Wowzio Widgets for your Blog

I wanted to reach out to you to ask for your feedback on these widgets (feel free to install them on your blog, if you feel they are a good fit). I'm sorry for leaving this message via a comment, it's not at all our intent to spam you ( which is why i'm leaving this comment on an older post and you can always remove this comment ). Again, we would love to hear your feedback.

Thanks,
Alisha Wright
alisha.wright1@gmail.com

Jaime said...

that is the cutest cake!

Unknown said...

When I bought my house through costa rica homes for sale
I expected to have a big stove in the kitchen with a huge space, now I am really happy because I can cook every kind of recipe in my huge stove. I really love it.