Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Oatmeal Cookies -- Two ways

Each day after school, my kids walk through the door and their first question is always, "Did you make any treats today?" I decided I would answer yes to that question this afternoon by making some of their favorite cookies.
Personally, I like my oatmeal cookies with raisins, but I always meet resistance from my tasters when I try to sneak something healthy in -- so I have to appease them by doing half the batch with chocolate chunks, which is what I did today. Make these for your gang sometime -- they'll love them!

OATMEAL COOKIES
Source: Gourmet Magazine, 9/1999
Makes 24 cookies.

1 3/4 c. old fashioned rolled oats
3/4 c. flour
3/4 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 1/4 sticks butter, softened
1/3 c. brown sugar
1/3 c. granualted sugar
1 large egg
1/2 t. vanilla

Options:
1/2 c. raisins or
1 c. chocolate chips or chunks

Preheat oven to 375 and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Stir together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt. Beat together butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until combined well. Add oat mixture and beat until just combined. Add in optional raisins or chocolate chips and stir until combined. (I like to divide the dough in half and put raisins in one half and chocolate chips in the other).

Drop dough by heapingj tablespoons 2 inches apart onto baking sheets and flatten mounds slightly with moistened fingers. Bake cookies in upper and lower thirds of oven, switching position of sheets halfway through baking, until golden, about 12 minutes total. Transfer to racks to cool.

No comments: