Wednesday, January 30, 2008

SCOTCH-A-ROOOOOOS


OKAY. Is there a better dessert in the whole world than Scotcheroos? I mean really. I'm not talking about Creme Brule or Bananas Foster. Or Baked Alaska or Crepes Suzette.....I mean, down and dirty DESSERT. Scotcheroos, people. Peanut butter, chocolate, butterscotch.....oh yeah. They're not gourmet. That's okay!! Scotcheroos. 'Nuff said. This is the kind of dessert that makes you happy you have kids around, 'cause it's not sophisticated or grownup. It's just yummy. Here's the recipe. As my daughter would say, "Happy belly"!!!

SCOTCHEROOS
Serves: Uh, not enough....maybe 4 hungry Damrons.

1 c. sugar
1 c. light corn syrup
1 c. peanut butter
6 c. Rice Crispies or Special K
1 c. semi sweet chips
1 c. butterscotch chips

Line a 9x11 Pyrex pan with foil and hit it with non-stick spray.

Place cereal in a medium mixing bowl.

Bring sugar and corn syrup to a rolling boil over medium high heat. Remove from heat and whisk in peanut butter until melted and smooth. Pour over cereal and stir until well blended. Scoop into prepared pan. Press with a spatula until mixture is spread neatly throughout the pan.

Microwave both semisweet and butterscotch chips in a glass bowl until melted and smooth stopping periodically to stir, about 2 minutes. Spread over the top of the cereal mixture. Chill until topping is set, about an hour. Cut into uniform slices and try to refrain from eating the entire pan within the hour. Sick...just sick...in a good way, of course!!!

7 comments:

AngiePangie said...

Wow, I haven't had Scotcharoos in such a long time . . . they look so yummy! My kids will be in heaven if I make these (that is, if I share! LOL).

We're supposed to get one-heck-uva storm here in Michigan tonight, maybe I'll put some together!

Thanks for the recipe - and the memories of a childhood fav!

Angie Pangie
http://www.angiespangies.com

iheartpamperedchef said...

Yum, I think I have to try these!! They look D-licious!

Melissa

Emily said...

You know, these aren't gourmet, but who could resist em'? I couldn't. They look great.

Sylvia said...

Looks delicious

Queen of her Castle said...

Okay,so had to repost with my NAME this time so you would know who the heck Queen of Her Castle is....But this recipe looks awesome and I think even I could make it. Not so sure about that chicken pot pie crust but this, I can handle. And I am sure it will make the kiddos happy. Wonder if I eat it standing up will it count against my Weight Watchers points?

Becky W

Nina Timm said...

My son would definitely love these, although I have never heard of Scotcharoos before here in South Africa.

I will most certainly try them soon.

violets said...

This looks like a great recipe, I've never heard of them either, yours looks very delicious.


Vi xx