Sunday, January 20, 2008

Shrimp Quesadillas and the Packers



It's a big day for football up here in Wisconsin .... but you couldn't pay me enough to sit outside at Lambeau Field tonight! It's -25 with the windchill, for gravy's sake. So the DamFam is hanging out at home enjoying a fire and football from the comfort of our family room.

Here's what we're munching on while we wait for our chili to finish cooking. I found this recipe on Simplyrecipes.com, I just love that site! I made these a couple of weeks back when I was asked to bring an appetizer to a neighborhood get together, and they were gone in a flash.

One note: the original recipe calls for sliced avocado as a garnish, but our grocery store's avocados were hard as rocks. Today I'm using fresh guac' from the deli instead.

Shrimp Quesadillas
Serves 2
Source http://www.simplyrecipes.com/


1/2 lb. large shrimp, cooked, peeled, and deveined
the juice of one lime
2 scallions, minced
a hefty pinch of minced cilantro
1 jalapeno, minced (seeded and deveined if you can't take the heat)
1/4 t. chipotle chili powder (I added this, it's not on the original recipe)
Shredded Queso Quesadilla (a semi-soft Mexican melting cheese)
2 or 3 Flour tortillas
Sliced avocado or guacamole
Sour cream & additional cilantro sprigs for garnish

Chop the shrimp into bite sized pieces. In a medium glass mixing bowl, combine the lime juice, scallions, cilantro, jalapeno, and chipotle chili powder. Toss shrimp in lime mixture and season with salt and pepper. Set aside to marinate for 20-30 minutes. Drain off lime juice.

Heat a grill pan or skillet over medium high heat. Spray one side of flour tortilla with cooking spray and set spray side down on a cutting board. Top one half with some shredded cheddar, then some of the shrimp mixture, the a bit more cheddar. Fold over and set aside. Repeat with another tortilla. Place both quesadillas in the grill pan and cover partially with a lid. Toast until golden and cheese is melting, then flip and repeat on the other side. Remove to cutting board and allow to rest for a minute or two. Cut into wedges and place on serving platter. Garnish with sliced avocado, a spoonful of sour cream, and cilantro sprigs.

3 comments:

amycaseycooks said...

Good luck with your blog. It looks great. i will be checking back to see what's cooking in your kitchen - it will probably show up on my table too.

Sylvia said...

Wonderful blog is really beautiful and delicious.I linking you in my blog, in this way I can visit you again
Quesadillas are so good

Unknown said...

Quesadillias are really food that tastes great!!! I'm de3finitely looking forward in making this recipe. I will make this with some recipes I've discovered at www.gourmandia.com